The Centers have been created in order to provide an accessible gateway on the judicial system. By providing a unique and personalized service, the Center’s staff strives to ensure that individuals feel supported in their legal issues.
Our jurists strongly believe that every person has the ability to take charge of their situation, and trust that they are capable of making the choices best suited to their needs. After receiving explanations regarding the law in plain language and in a respectful and open environment, the individual acquires the confidence to make an informed decision.
Be assured that you will receive professional, courteous and confidential services based on active listening and that you will be better equipped to make the choices best suited to your needs.
Nouveau service de prémédiation familiale
Ce service a pour but d’informer les ex-conjoints sur la médiation familiale et de les aider à se préparer avant la médiation.
Ce service est gratuit et offert à tous les ex-conjoints, mariés ou non, avec ou sans enfant commun à charge.
Pour en savoir plus, visitez : avantlamediation.ca.
What we can do :
- Inform you on the law, your rights and obligations;
- Inform you on the various recourses available and legal and administrative procedures;
- Inform you on the various private dispute prevention and resolution processes (ex. mediation);
- Help you get additional support through specialized resources.
We are generalists. We deal with questions regarding everyday life situations. We answer questions on the following areas of law :
- Family law (separation, divorce, custody and child support, parental authority);
- Civil law (neighborhood disturbances, co-ownership, contracts, civil liability, housing, hidden defect, consumer protection);
- Will, estate, mandate and protection regimes;
- Civil procedure (small claims, application to institute proceedings, progress of a case to the court)
- Criminal and penal law (criminal offenses, contraventions, general judicial process)
We do not answer questions that require very specialized knowledge, for example :
- Patent and intellectual property;
- Laws and regulations of another province or country;
- Municipal (taxation, municipal competence, town planning, etc.)
- Immigration law
We have limited knowledge in different areas of law, for example :
- All calls (Supreme Court of Canada, Court of Appeal, Superior Court, Court of Quebec, etc.);
- Injunction, contempt of court and judicial review;
- Administrative (TAT, CSST, SAAQ, TAQ, etc.);
- Access to information and privacy laws;
- Company’s right;
- Youth protection;
- Class actions;
- Collective labor report (union).
What we can not do :
- Provide you with legal counsel, assess your chances of success or establish a strategy;
- Complete forms or write legal documents for you;
- Suggest what you should be saying in a court of law;
- Provide legal representation in court or in front of organizations;
- Take decisions for you
Before visiting the Center : How should one prepare ?
Prepare your questions in advance. List and bring all relevant documents to facilitate the understanding of your file.
Examples : Invoice | Judgment | Contract | Letter | etc.
What is the best time to visit the Center?
The staff has no control over wait times. To maximize your chances of meeting a lawyer, it is strongly recommended to arrive at least one hour prior to closing time. The lunch hour is often the busiest time.
- L’Ile d’Orléans
- La Côte de Beaupré
- La Haute-St-Charles
- La Jacques-Cartier
- Les Rivières
- La Nouvelle-Beauce
- Les Appalaches
- Les Etchemins
Guides and tools
Dispute prevention and resolution (DPR) processes
- L’obligation de considérer les modes PRD depuis le 1er janvier 2016 (In French only)
- Guide d’information sur les modes PRD (In French only)
- La preuve civile aux petites créances (In French only)
- Liste des ressources – petites créances (In French only)
- Séance d’information sur les petites créances (video, in French only)
- Rapport annuel 2019-2020 (In French only)
- Rapport annuel 2018-2019 (In French only.).
- Rapport annuel 2017-2018 (In French only)
- Rapport annuel 2016-2017 (In French only)
- Rapport annuel 2015-2016 (In French only)
- Rapport annuel 2014-2015 (In French only)
- Rapport annuel 2013-2014 (In French only)
- Rapport annuel 2012-2013 (In French only)
- Rapport annuel 2011-2012 (In French only)