Your visit to the Center :
What to expect from a visit to the Center? :
The Center is a free legal clinic and no appointment is required :
- we provide legal information with regard to your legal questions to help you make informed decisions;
- we can help you better understand the judicial system, identify your different options and procedures;
- we can help you get additional support through specialized resources such as a government agency, a community or non-profit organization, a legal adviser or a mediation center.
Who can come to the Center? :
All individuals who come to the center, regardless of their income. Keep in mind that the other party in your case may also seek legal information from us. Please note, the Center does not give any legal information by telephone.
Due to the coronavirus, our service in person is temporarily closed. We continue to provide legal information by phone for Montrealers.
To make an appointment in person or to obtain legal information by phone, leave a message on the voicemail at 514-227-3782 (option 4) and a member of our staff will contact you in a timely manner. We return calls during our office hours. Please leave your availabilities and we will try our best to contact you in a timely manner.
What type of questions may one ask? :
We are generalists. We deal with questions regarding everyday life situations :
- How to cancel child support?;
- How does the repossession of a dwelling work?
- How to execute my judgment?
- I bought a used car that no longer works. What are the seller’s obligations?
We do not answer questions that require specialized knowledge :
- laws and regulations of another province or country.
We have limited knowledge in certain areas of law :
- All appeals (Supreme Court of Canada, Cour of Appeal, Superior Court, Court of Québec etc.);
- Injunction, contempt of court and judicial review;
- Tax law;
- Corporate law / Business start-up;
- Criminal and penal law;
- Youth protection;
- Intellectual property;
- Class actions;
- International law.
What we do not do?
We do not provide legal advice :
- We do not develop strategies for you;
- We do not assess your chances of success and we do not comment on the value of your evidence;
- We do not write formal demand letters, motions, etc.;
- We do not review any of your documents;
- We do not provide representation in court;
- We do not take the decisions for you.
How should one prepare for a visit at the Center?
Bring a piece of identification. Prepare your questions in advance. List and bring all the relevant documents to facilitate understanding of your file :
Examples : A judgment | A contract | A letter of dismissal | Etc.
Guides and tools
- Template of an invitation to family mediation
- Template of an application for notification of a pleading by special service
- Rapport annuel 2019-2020 (In French only)
- Rapport annuel 2018-2019 (In French only)
- Rapport annuel 2017-2018 (In French only)
- Rapport annuel 2016-2017 (In French only)
- Rapport annuel 2015-2016 (In French only)
- Rapport annuel 2014-2015 (In French only)
- Statistiques annuelles 2014-2015 (In French only)
- Rapport annuel 2013-2014 (In French only)
- Statistiques annuelles 2013-2014 (In French only)
- Rapport annuel 2012-2013 (In French only)
- Rapport annuel 2011-2012 (In French only)
- États financiers 2011-2012 (In french only)